As you may recall, I’ve been working in a pretty awful timeslot for the past couple of weeks. It bothered me so much [read: it’s not fair! ::whine:: ::cry::] after the first week that I wrote a note to the scheduler and requested…something. I just wanted information and options.
He ended up calling me on Saturday because I had a 3-day weekend and wouldn’t be available to contact via “official” sheets of paper at work. He gave me a rundown of the slots that were vacant but none were the specifics I really wanted. He basically said there was nothing he could do for me.
A couple days ago when I got to work there was an offer with my timecard. It’s a vacancy in a timeslot that is (in my opinion) an improvement over what I’ve got now. A downside is that it’s only a 34-hour week instead of a full 40. I went back and forth all night about whether or not I should accept it. I realized that when I spoke to the guy on the phone I was too intimidated to just come out and say exactly what I wanted. I wondered if I’d appear entitled if I accepted this offer, but requested to be notified and moved again if the specific shift I want becomes available. Or if he wouldn’t even think twice about it. I tried to figure out a positive way to decline the offer and say I want to wait for the other one, if it ever opens up. The shift I really want is more in-demand than I would have guessed. It’s a long shot that anyone will give it up willingly. There’s really no “official” way right now to request a change and be guaranteed to get it.
Ultimately I decided to accept the offer I got a couple days ago. I haven’t heard back yet if it’s mine and when it will go into effect. The more I think about it, the happier I am. I’m just not cut out for this night owl stuff.